Join The Community

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Google Plus. Today and Tomorrow

On June 28, 2011 I received an unexpected letter by gmail. Here are the first lines of the letter from Stephanie Liu. 

“Hi,
I'd like to invite you to an early Field Trial of the Google+ project, a new way to share with the people that matter the most.”

It was impossible to describe my feelings when I realized that I was one of those rare people who can explore the initial version of the system. I fell in love with it at first sight...
Everything was so clear, well organized and so easy to manage that even beginner users of the Internet would not need help. And I realized that Google-Plus is what we expected for a long time.

To be honest, we were expecting a system like this, but it was planned to called Google Me.
I’d like to express my opinion about the name of this project.  Google Me is a better name for a social network.  But let’s not forget that it is not a simple social network.  I am sure that as the network develops, it will have all the Google services and tools. Thus Plus is the best name for such a system.
I don’t want to write about the inner structure of the network, because it is already written inside the system.
I’ll try to mention what we have today, and what we will have in future.

                                               
Google Plus Today
Based on Paul Allen’s post and the note that I received the invitation on 4th of July, there were already more than 1.7 million people registered on the network only a week after I received the invitation. And also I must mention that the system was turned on for only 3 days.
We must agree that in one week 1.7 million registered profiles are a serious challenge to all other social networks, particularly to Facebook. So the struggle is just beginning.
Only after a few days we could see many interesting extensions and sites on the Internet, created by third parties.
Especially I would like to mention gplus.to , which allows users to create their short url addresses for their profiles (http://gplus.to/USERNAME), because G+ still doesn’t provide their users with their preferred urls and nicknames.

I also want to mention socialstatistics.com and I consider it as an important resource because it also took advantage of the fact that G + doesn’t have API, and created a rating system for  the profiles.

I am not going to tell more about the mentioned extensions. I will be glad to help with advice people who are interested, and if there are suck people, they may follow this link and read more about the sources.
In short, today we have 1.7 million users and a system that is growing minute by minute.


                                               Google Plus tomorrow
And here, perhaps, I should report my subjective opinion. So, what do I expect to see in G +


  1. I think the most important and urgent task is the API-creation. Personally, being a programmer, I'm already looking forward to the API. It will allow a sudden increase of the users. But I also realize that  for creating an API for such a system a lot of  time and human resources are required. So all we can do is wait.
  1. It is also important that other Google services will be integrated into Plus. Especially the upper toolbar notification number, as it is done with the help of Google + Enhancer
  2. . I look forward to the integration of Google Sites into user’s profile.  This will allow users to create their site or their organization's website within Google Plus. It is a step, which not a single social network can do better than Google Plus.
  3. . I also have great expectations for the Google Groups integration into Google Plus. It will allow filling in the gap of the groups in G+.
  4. . And with the last point, of course, I cannot forget the awaited integration of Google Music which is in experimental mode now.

Maybe I forgot to mention some facts or expectations; in any case, I hope Google Plus will surprise us with a lot more thing than a mentioned.

From Vardan Grigoryan (GTUG Armenia)
http://www.gtug.am

0 comments:

Post a Comment